Wednesday, December 3, 2014

WHAT’S UP WITH YOGA?

That’s the question that comes my way on a daily basis. Why do you practice yoga? I don’t think there is one correct response for this. Many people do it for many reasons, but we all have one thing in common…our love for the practice. I bought a yoga mat a few years ago and told myself, “I want to do yoga.” Let me tell you, it lasted about a week! There has to be more to it right?

YOGA IS NOT ABOUT THE POSES.

If it was about the poses, then there wouldn’t be so many forms for the practice. Ever think about it like that? It’s about digging deep and far beyond the surface. Looking for that inner peace and daring it to come out. All the poses do is present a physical challenge that you can overcome using nothing but yourself. This is your mind, heart, soul, and anything else within you that can motivate one to conquer a challenge. Now I know this may all sound like a bunch of zen mambo jumbo, but the truth of the matter is that it’s tough for individuals to shut off the outside distractions and face the silence head on. Silence can be a fear because this is the time when we have to face our faults and problems, and think about things in life that may or may not be going as planned.

“Avoiding fear doesn’t transcend fear it only postpones or delays it. To transcend fear of silence you have to meet it head-on.”  (mindmapinspiration.com)

Not facing this fear of silence will only postpone the problem rather than cure it. Yoga is a chance to take a few minutes to face that fear of silence, while taking a moment to evaluate yourself and things that may need improvement in your life. I love that instance when I am working on a new asana (pose), and I turn everything off, talk to myself, and say, “You can do this.” When it happens the feeling is amazing! This very technique can be applicable to most areas in life. A challenge comes your way, stop and take a moment to think about it in silence; next thing you know, you’ve beat it!


Look at my reaction when I record myself on a regular day of practice. This is how I want to feel when I beat all odds in life.

Yoga is certainly something to try at least once. Besides, the stretches feel amazing! If you can find a deeper meaning from the practice…even better. Don’t be discouraged by how outlandish the poses may appear, all it takes is persistence and continuity.

  • Take your time
  • Try one pose at a time
  • Breathe Breathe Breathe
  • Understand that it’s SUPPOSE to be a challenge (it doesn’t come easy)

I don’t want to bombard you with too much talk of Yoga, but from time to time I’ll drop in to chat about it. CHALLENGE YOURSELF!


If you have any questions or comments, feel free to drop them below

By: Edie Ibanga

Twitter @brodcastedie
IG @broadcast_edie
Gmail broadcastedie@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

FitNigeria: Your health & Fitness brand Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger